Thursday, August 31, 2006

Karma - how's yours?

I was having lunch with my best friend yesterday... (boy am I going to miss those when I go back to work)... We are sitting by the carry-out door at Chili's. I just caught a glimpse of this guy leaving the carry-out area and I noticed he dropped something.

Now you know when you see currency on the floor you can tell one of two things... it's either a one dollar bill or you can tell it's bigger than a one, but you can't really tell how big.

Okay, so I noticed this guy dropped something and it was bigger than a one dollar bill. I immediately hop out of my seat, grab the bill (it was a 20!) and catch the guy as he is about to get into his car.

"Excuse me, you dropped this."

"Oh hey, thanks"

"No problem"

Once I'm back in the restaurant and on my way back to my seat, my waiter stopped me and shook my hand.


"That was cool of you. I don't know how many people would have done that. Let me shake your hand." I'm a little confused, it certainly wasn't a deed worthy of a congratulatory handshake.

"Well I would want someone to do the same for me."

The waiter then mentioned something about he has seen TV shows that purposely drop money and stuff just to see what people will do.

It was obviously the guy's $20 and he had just dropped it, it wasn't hard to catch him. Like I said, I would hope someone would do the same for me.

What would you have done?
a) Caught the guy and given him the $20 back - I'm all about Karma.
b) Ignored it and let the guy waiting on him at the carry-out counter get $20 richer.
c) Waited for the guy to drive away and head-butt anyone who got in the way of me getting that $20.
d) None of the above, I would have (insert your scenario here).

Just to clarify... if I found a twenty on the floor with no owner in site... I'd be $20 richer.

Comments:
Yeah, if I see someone drop money I try to get it back to them.

But if I just *found* money - it is mine.

I once saw a man drop him money clip (empty) and chased him down as we were on a train and he kept walking up some cars. Worked well. He was a ticket guy and we were getting kicked off because we messed up our reservations (trains, Italy, need I say more?) and then he let us stay on and kicked off the fifteen other tourists who had mucked up.
 
I agree with Jenn. I've never had that happen before but I'm sure that I couldn't have done anything but give it back. I figure I need someone up there smiling down on me more than I need a $20 (or more) bill.
 
I'd have given him the money, definitely. I mean I told a woman her tag was sticking out of jumper, today! (I tapped her on the shoulder, to alert her, told her about the tag and then tucked it under for her).

I did once find I think a £10 note (so about $16?), no owner in sight, but Mum was with me, and I felt bad keeping it, so we gave it to charity. It was the day of a big solar eclipse,cars parked all along the sea road and up the lanes, everyone on the beach... probably belonged to people in one of the nearby cars, but how would you be sure? Hundreds of people had arrived to watch the eclipse (it was total).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?