Monday, July 03, 2006

Life in a blender...

Less than a month ago I was put on semi-bed rest and wondering what the hell I was going to do with myself. Now, I am a human pacifier - double pacifier if you will. Amazing how much change can happen in such a short time.

I am enjoying my new role, don't get me wrong. But I often think how this is really only temporary. I don't have a definite date that I am going back to work. It will be sometime the end of August or the beginning of September. Then that voice rises in the back of my brain... "how are you going to be able to leave this little man all day?" I'm sure these are normal feelings. I am sure I will be going back to work. I am also sure it will be another transition period that I will have to get used to.

Is it some kind of cruel joke? You spend 9 months growing a little human while the hormones in your body (not to mention various other body parts) have a party without your knowledge. At the end of these 9 grueling months you spend varied amounts of time trying to get this little human out of your body. Once out, you are completely exhausted and possibly even recovering from surgery they send you home with your new little human.

Sleep will escape you when you are supposed to be "getting rest" to recover. You will feel generally crappy, you house will be a disaster area yet you will have more company than possibly ever before. Oh... and the hormone party I mentioned before... well it has just kicked into overdrive. Whose rule is it that you have to have a reason to cry? Can't it be enough that you just created life with your best friend?

It will feel a lot like everyone kept going straight down that long life road, but you have made a left turn. You know you are still going the right way, but it sure feels odd.

Welcome to my blender...

Comments:
Ohhhhhhh... I can relate! I'm feeling your pain in the sleep deprivation area. But it's so wonderful, this thing called motherhood.

Congrats on your new bundle, Sheryl!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?