Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A birth story


I know it's out of order... but what the hell.

So off to my 9:00 am ultlrasound appointment last Tuesday, June 13, 2006 with Kevin. I don't think we waited too long to get in. The ultrasound tech told us the baby's fluid level was low, it was down to 2.7. It should normally be 10 and the week prior when the hospital did the ultrasound I thought the doc said the level was 9, Kevin thought they said 6. But either way it was significantly lower than it was the prior Tuesday (6/6). So we had to wait and see the doctor (Dr. P). Dr. P decided we were going to the hospital today and they were going to start the induction. So we went home, straightened up a bit, packed a bag, took a shower and off to the hospital we go. We stopped at Wendy's to grab something to eat and started making phone calls.

2:00 we arrive at the hospital, they put me right into a Labor and Delivery Room and hook me and the baby up to a monitor. They did one more quick ultrasound to make sure the baby was in position, which he was. At 4:00 PM they checked me as a benchmark and inserted the Cervidil. We ordered dinner and settled in for the evening and tried to get some sleep. At 4:00 AM they came and woke me up and the Cervidil was removed. I was able to take a shower and eat a light breakfast (the smallest bowl of oatmeal I have ever seen!). They checked me again and I was 60% efaced. At 5AM they started the Pitocin. I slept good for the next 2 hours. When I woke up at 7AM there were 4 people in the room. They told me they were taking me off the Pitocin, the baby wasn't handling it very well. They had talked to Dr. P and they have decided to do a c-section at 8AM. I was a little freaked. I mean they had been discussing a c-section for a couple of weeks, but I still didn't really think it was going to happen, no less in an hour... I cried.

The Anesthesiologist came in to explain what was going to happen. When he found out I had eaten, he wasn't comfortable starting a spinal. The surgery was post-poned until 11AM (or sometime between 11:00 and 1:00), depending on the doctor availability. At this point parents were called and we waited.

Before 11, the nurse came in and wanted to insert the catheter. You really lose any modesty you may have had when you are about to give birth. So the nurse starts "cleaning" the area and I am sure she is doing it with razor blades... wtf! The pain must have been obvious because the nurse and my husband both tell me to breath at which point I instantly think "FUCK YOU!" In retrospect, it's probably a good thing I didn't go thru any labor.

11:00 right on the button here comes a whole team o' people. I got to walk to the operating room with my magic cape. The cape (read: backwards hospital gown) keep my lily white behind from offending anyone else. They get me on this little table. Now when I say little, I mean little - I bet it wasn't a foot wide. We wait for about 20 minutes for the Anesthesiologist to show. Spinal done, Sheryl dead weight in only moments. Weird, weird feeling. I can't feel anything from my armpits down. Breathing feels weird. I ask about my husband's whereabouts and in he walks all cute in his blue scrubs. He sat with me rubbing my arm - he is very comforting. Time goes by... I hear someone say his head is out... still feeling nothing. Moments later I hear him crying... I cry. Kev goes over to see the baby and helps them measure him. Hunter gets all wrapped up and given to Daddy. He brings him over to me - he has a ton of hair and is so adorable. He has his Daddy's dimple, I'm just elated.


Comments:
Ooh! I love birth stories. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad it had to get scary like that. But you got your beautiful, perfect little baby out of it.

Did they change the rules in the last 10 years? Or did I just have a cranky nurse? I distintly recall that when I was checking in to the hospital to have my son (at 2pm) and told them I'd eaten lunch, the nurse yelled at me. Do they let you eat now, while you're in labor? Or did they always let you eat while you're in labor?

I'm confused.
 
Okay, I'm totally too emotional.

I'm sitting in my office crying for peat's sake.

Ahhhhhh!


He looks so amazing. xoxo
 
Hey Laurie,
No one told us I couldn't eat so that is why we stopped at Wendy's - one last spicy chicken sandwhich for me.

Before they started the pitocin my Doctor told me to eat something light - which explains the world's smallest bowl of oatmeal I was allowed to have.

And probably since I was never really in labor, they didn't care if I ate.

If it makes you feel any better, at one point I did ask for a Dove ice cream bar and they refused... ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?